I did have a taper plan for this week:-
But as you can see from the bright red which indicates an incomplete or simple not done session, I've done nothing since the 15K on Sunday. But, you know what? It really doesn't matter at this point. Yes, it'd be ideal if I kept things ticking over gently, mainly from a neuro-muscular point of view, but there are no performance or endurance gains to be had in a taper week. What I could have had a bit better grip on is rest, good quality and plentiful sleep, and keeping eating sensibly. Even so, that's not the end of the world either.
I do need to make sure I have the route plumbed into my phone and Garmin as that's one of the two unknowns for Saturday, so as long as I do that I'll be fine.
Packing list is in final draft at the moment:-
- Shoes - Skechers Go Bionic Trail, Brooks Pure Cadence and Merrell Pace Glove (shoe changes may be needed due to quite terrible mud and wet)
- Socks - Compressport Trail Socks (for if it's dry), Smart Wool Trail socks (for if it's wet)
- Shorts - Compressport Trail Shorts, layered with short lycra shorts on top for warmth
- Top - Compressport Trail T-Shirt, layered with a Pella Team Freespeed t-shirt for warmth
- Optional extras - Compressport arm sleeves, Compressport full legs (for warmth, support or protection)
- Over-trousers - Salomon Bonatti (waterproof and nettle-proof)
- Hydration vest - Salomon Hydro 5 with 2x 500ml bottles, safety whistle and foil blanket
- Mid-layer - Icebreaker Merino 200, half-zip, long-sleeved (early version of the linked one, not water resistant)
- Scarf/snood/funnel/chute- Icebreaker Merino
- Waterproof jacket - Haglofs Scramble Q jacket
- Salts/hydration - H2Pro 500
- Nutrition - Clif Bars (various flavours)
- Navigation - Garmin Forerunner 910XT, MotionX
- Phone - Apple iPhone 5
- Extended battery - Power Walker
- Heart rate monitor - Polar (to keep an eye on things and record the race for later)
- Small towels (to dry feet between sock changes if they get wet)
I'm aiming for maximum comfort and options will be carried by Mr TOTKat for dry changes of socks, shoes etc.