Serves 4 for lunches (approx. 200kcals per portion, 27g carb, 4g protein, 8g fat, 3 portions F&V):-
- 500-600g Parsnips
- 1 Medium English Apple
- 2 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 15ml Groundnut or other flavourless oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tsp Powdered Turmeric
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1.25 litres vegetable stock
- 4 Tbps half fat crème fraîche
- Toast the coriander and cumin seeds then grind them with a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the onions and soften for about 5 minutes before adding the garlic.
- Cook for another 2 minutes, then add the ground spices, along with the turmeric and ginger, stir and cook gently for a few more minutes.
- Chop the parsnips into 1 inch chunks.
- Add the parsnips to the saucepan, stir well to coat with the spices and oils, then pour in the stock.
- Season and simmer for half an hour with the lid off, then half an hour with the lid on.
- When the soup has been simmering for an hour, remove it from the heat, and use a hand blender to make it smooth - leave a few chunks if you'd like to.
- When you're ready to serve it, either now or after chilling/freezing into portions, peel the apple and grate it into the soup. Simmer the soup for 3-4 minutes/reheat in the microwave/slow cooker, decant into bowls and add a small dollop (15g) creme fraiche and grind over some black pepper to serve.
- Warm up - 500m on L7 on the rower (01:55/500m pace)
- Squats on the Smith machine - 3x10, Olympic bar plus 35kg
- Chin ups using the Smith machine for a bar - 3x4, bodyweight
- Squat and overhead swing - 3x10, 20kg dumb-bell - superset A
- Reverse crunch with leg raise - 3x15 slowly - superset A
- Walking lunges with kettlebell - 3x20, 24kg kettlebell
- Squat, one-arm clean and jerk - 3x20, 14kg dumb-bell
But seriously! 12 chin-ups! OK, they were in 3 sets of 4 and apart from the first one in each set they weren't completely from hanging, but I'm still really really pleased with them! I fully intend to get a photo of me doing some in my new "Strong is the new skinny" tank vest when it arrives :o)