|Net carbs 8.3g per serving|
- Prepare the cauliflower and par-boil it in chunks, drain it and and let it steam itself dry. Pan cook the bacon and chop it into bite-sized pieces (I used smoked back as that's what was available, preferably use a good streaky bacon). Slice the mushrooms.
- Bring the the milk and cream to the boil in a pan and take off the heat.
- Finely grate the parmesan and whisk it into the egg yolks.
- Mix the cauliflower, bacon bits and mushroom slices in a baking dish.
- Grate the cheddar coarsely.
- Pour the milk and cream into the whisked parmesan and egg yolk and whisk until well mixed, then return to the pan the milk and cream was heated in and heat gently, stirring all the time as the mixture very slowly thickens. It will thicken to a very thick cream consistency over 8-10 minutes; do not be tempted to turn the heat up to make it go more quickly as all that will do will give you scrambled egg in cream.
- Once that mix has thickened, take it off the heat and pour over the solids in the baking dish. Press the mix down a bit and then top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at about 150C (you can leave it in there for up to a couple of hours if you need to for any reason). Brown under the grill if desired.